Have you been the victim of unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent business practices?
According to the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC), an estimated 25 million people in America are the victims of some form of consumer fraud each year. Unfortunately, while there are both state and federal laws to protect us against these business scams and schemes, the problem of unfair or deceptive business practices continues - and it can be difficult to recover your losses after you have been ripped off.
At Brady Preston Brown, we help those who have been treated unfairly by a business, company, or individual fight back and recover what has been stolen from them. Even if your claim is relatively small, and even if you are fighting a powerful company, a class action consumer fraud lawsuit could be the answer to securing your rightful money and shutting down fraudulent companies. With law offices in Cedar Rapids, and serving all of eastern Iowa, we will listen to your story of fraud and help you recover your losses and hold the guilty parties responsible.
What are the most common types of consumer fraud in Iowa?
- Advanced fee loans. The most common type of consumer fraud in the country today, this scam takes place when a consumer is asked to pay money upfront in order to secure a loan or credit card.
- Buyer's club membership fraud. In these cases, a consumer is asked to pay for a buyer's club membership or a buyer's publication without ever agreeing to join.
- Credit card insurance fraud. Credit card insurance fraud takes place when a company asks for money in exchange for preventing your credit card from being misused - consumers are already protected in this way by federal laws.
- Credit repair fraud. Credit repair fraud occurs when consumers pay companies to remove the poor portions of their credit history from their records.
- Prize promotion fraud. In these scams, consumers are ripped off when they pay money in order to become eligible for a prize.
- Pyramid schemes. In a pyramid scheme, consumers are asked to pay an upfront fee and then recruit others to pay a similar fee - with no products or services ever being involved.
- Defective product fraud. In these rip-offs, consumers buy products that do not work or that do not perform as advertised.
These are just a few examples of consumer fraud and financial fraud. Anyone who has lost money because of faulty company claims, shady business practices, misleading business opportunities, or false advertising has been a victim of consumer or financial fraud - and they should act to put a stop to such organizations and practices. While scammers often target certain demographics - such as senior citizens, those with large amounts of debt, and fledgling entrepreneurs - anyone can become caught up in a scam. Although in the past most scammers used telemarketing and mail, the internet is now a hotbed of fraudulent business practices and schemes.
What is a consumer fraud or financial fraud class action lawsuit?
When an organization or entity engages in an unfair business practices, scams, or misleading advertising, hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people can fall victim to their fraudulent activity. A class action lawsuit allows some or all of the individuals who suffered a loss to come together and file a complaint against the company that tricked them.
Class action lawsuits can involve any number of different fraud cases, including consumer fraud, financial fraud, credit card fraud, investment fraud, healthcare fraud, business fraud, insurance fraud, or bank fraud. Although it may seem impossible to fight a large, powerful, and rich corporation by yourself, class action fraud lawsuits and consumer fraud attorneys make it manageable to stand up for yourself, whether you are owed a few hundred dollars or a more significant sum.
Stop the company or individual who ripped you off - talk to a consumer fraud lawyer
No one truly knows how many Americans are scammed each year by companies engaging in unfair practices or all-out deception - many of those who are tricked are too embarrassed or ashamed to admit that they have been taken advantage of or lost money. However, when no one speaks about their consumer fraud incident, the company or individual who scammed you will keep defrauding others and you will have no chance of recovering your money. Talking to an Iowa consumer fraud attorney can help you understand your options for getting your money back and for shutting down the business that defrauded you forever. Call Brady Preston Brown
today at 319.866.9277 or fill out the electronic form on this page to set up a confidential consultation
Brady Preston Brown, Attorneys at Law, is located in Cedar Rapids and serves the following cities and counties across Eastern Iowa:
Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls, Iowa City, Des Moines, Dubuque, Davenport, Waterloo, Ames, Hiawatha, Vinton, Center Point, Cascade, Monticello, Anamosa, Manson, Clinton, Burlington, Newton, Grinnell, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, North Liberty, and Coralville.
Linn County, Benton County, Buchanan County, Cedar County, Delaware County, Iowa County, Johnson County, Jones County, Black Hawk County, Tama County, Delaware County, Dubuque County, Jackson County, Clinton County, Muscatine County, Louisa County, Washington County, Clayton County, Fayette County, Bremer County, Scott County, Keokuk County, Poweshiek County, and Henry County.
Blog for Consumer & Financial Fraud
Library for Consumer & Financial Fraud:
- Beware: Social Media Postings Online Are NOT PRIVATE
Find out how your social media postings can be used against you in your case.
- Six Simple Tips to Keep Your Online Information Safe
Keeping your personal information private and protected while navigating the Internet is not easy, but there are steps you can take to protect your information.
- Debit Card Fraud Victimizes Iowa Consumers
If you have been a victim of debit card fraud in Iowa, find out your rights from a skilled Cedar Rapids financial fraud lawyer in a free consultation.
- Tips to Avoid Becoming a Victim of Mail Fraud and Financial Fraud in Iowa
Mail fraud in Iowa often tricks people out of their money. Find out your rights from a knowledgeable Cedar Rapids financial fraud lawyer.
- Iowa Consumers: Beware of Common Sweepstakes Scams
Sweepstakes and prize promotion fraud in Iowa happens even to savvy consumers. Read tips in this article by a trusted Cedar Rapids financial fraud lawyer.
- Tips to Avoid Being a Victim of Iowa Advance Fee Fraud
These tips may save you from becoming a victim of advance fee fraud in Iowa. Learn more here, and call a Cedar Rapids financial fraud lawyer today.
- How to Avoid Becoming a Victim of Financial and Investment Fraud in Iowa
Call a Cedar Rapids financial fraud attorney if you believe you have been a victim of a Ponzi scheme or other type of investment and financial fraud in Iowa.
- What to Do When Iowa Consumers are Defrauded By Businesses
Find out your rights if you have been defrauded by a company selling a defective product, and call our Cedar Rapids, Iowa consumer fraud lawyers for help today.
- Help Protect Your Elderly Relative from Becoming a Victim of Iowa Financial Fraud
If your elderly loved one was a victim of financial fraud in Iowa, talk to them and help them. Call a skilled Cedar Rapids financial fraud attorney today.
- Robo-Signing May Allow Iowa Homeowners Facing Foreclosure to Stay in Their Homes Longer
If you are facing foreclosure, banks may not have transferred your loan correctly and may not have the proper documentation. Find out more in this article.
- Protect Yourself from Becoming a Victim of Identity Theft in Iowa
Identity theft is a real concern facing Iowa consumers as well as the rest of the nation. Identity theft victims continue to top the charts of complaints that the FTC receives regarding consumer fraud issues. If you have been a victim of financial fraud or identity theft in Iowa, contact our experienced Cedar Rapids consumer fraud attorneys today at Brady Preston Brown at (319) 866-9277.
- What You Should Know About "Free Trial" Offers
Consumers should be wary of "free trial" offers.
- Ten Tips for Avoiding Online Scams
Many people enjoy the convenience of shopping online. Here are ten tips to help you get what you need and leave what you don't: identity theft and other online scams.
- What You Should Know About Credit Card Insurance Fraud
Credit card fraud and credit card insurance fraud in Iowa are real concerns in this state and across the nation, especially for the elderly. If you believe you have been a victim of credit card insurance fraud, then contact our experienced Cedar Rapids consumer fraud attorneys at Brady Preston Brown today at (319) 866-9277.
- Iowa's New Consumer Fraud statute [PDF]
Chapter 714H Private Right of Action for Consumer Fraud - Plaintiff's Perspective - Brad J. Brady
- How to Spot Credit Repair Fraud in Iowa
There are many fraudulent credit repair companies operating in Iowa. This article explains what you should be on the lookout for when hiring a credit repair company. If you feel that you have been a victim of credit repair fraud, contact the law firm of Brady Preston Brown today at (319) 866-9277 and find out your legal options.
- Are You a Victim of Defective Product Fraud in Iowa?
Many consumers in Iowa and around the country are victims of consumer fraud. Consumers feel lied to when they spend money on products that do not deliver as promised or are defective. If you have been a victim of consumer fraud, or have been injured by a defective product, contact Brady Preston Brown today and speak with a knowledgeable consumer fraud attorney.
- Pyramid Schemes & Multi-Level Marketing Rip-Offs In Iowa: Protecting Yourself
A pyramid scheme or multi-level marketing scam can rob you of hundreds or thousands of dollars – and both are usually illegal. If a company using questionable business models steals your money, talk to an Iowa consumer fraud attorney today.
- Financial Fraud - What you can do about the predatory and improper practices related to providing financial services.
- Iowa's New Consumer Fraud Law
Although Iowa's statute is still new, a number of individual and class actions have been filed raising claims under the statute-including several by Brady Preston Brown. If you believe you have a private right of action for consumer fraud, call (319) 866-9277 to discuss your case today.
Frequent Questions for Consumer & Financial Fraud:
Videos about Consumer & Financial Fraud:
Web Resources for Consumer & Financial Fraud: